Skip to main content

Little Sprouts

It's been a day and a half since I took my last dose of meds, and all I hear is crickets from my uterus. It's a well known fact that she really likes to hold on to pregnancies regardless of what the fetus decides. But I hope she gets the damn memo soon. 

Game Over uterus. Reset. 

In the mean time I've been plenty busy with Christmas just days away. I called my mom last night in tears because I was overwhelmed. Not just with the baby stuff but with everything. We just got back in town, but when we left things were so hectic with strep throat, class parties, dance recitals, shopping, gift wrapping, packing and breathing treatments that my house was in shambles. 

I'm no Susie Homemaker, and mess typically doesn't bother me. But I wanted it cleanish for Santa and it looked like we'd been robbed. 

On top of that I only had two days until Christmas to whip things into shape, and all the while I was anxiously awaiting a pregnancy loss with no idea what to expect. 

Mom talked me down like she always does. She first assured me that the miscarriage was nothing I couldn't handle. No need to fear it. She's been there twice, and it's like a heavy period. Hers were with her own babies so of course the emotional healing was tougher. But this was nothing I couldn't handle. 

The next morning she showed up with a beautiful basket stuffed with everything I needed. New slippers, cozy pjs, sweet pea body wash, a magazine, chicken soup and some giant industrial pads. The miscarriage care package and it was just what the doctor ordered. 

She then enlisted the girls' help with the living room and we got busy cleaning and unpacking. 

I popped some cinnamon rolls in the oven and we were rolling. In no time my living area and kitchen were back in order and I could breathe again. 

She headed home to get ready for my brother's arrival, so I decided it was time to clue the girls in on the baby situation. 

Sunshine was being a goofball on her new bean bag, so I simply said "hey Sweets I have some sad news."

She sat up and asked if Uncle T wasn't going to come after all. I assured her he was on his way but this was about the baby. 

Sweet Pea patted my tummy "you mean dis baby?"

I asked if they remembered planting their tomatoes and they did. We talked about how some seeds sprouted and some didn't. Then some that sprouted kept growing and some didn't. 

I explained that while the baby sprouted from the egg, it just stopped growing. She sat for a minute without a word, so I asked if she had any questions. 

She asked if the baby would just stay in there. I said no that it'll come out. But its parents wouldn't be able to take it home because it was too tiny when it stopped growing. 

She asked if that meant we would just keep it and I said no. That it's going to be so small we can't even see it. 

She looked sad and said "dang Mom. I really wanted them to get that baby. Miss (baby mama) must be so sad." 

I told her we were all sad and she asked why it stopped growing. I didn't know what to say so I just told her "I don't know Babe. Sometimes that happens and we really don't know why. It's like a puzzle and every piece has to fit just right for it to make a baby."

I'd never told her about my twin pregnancy that happened before she was born. But as I sat there with my sweet girl asking very grown up questions I realized I needed to. Those were her siblings, and their lives mattered. No need to get too deep, but just acknowledge them and what they meant to our family. There's nothing to feel shameful about. They were people. After all I talk about my dad all the time with her, and he passed away 15 years before she was born. 

So I gently told her that once before she was born I had two babies in my tummy. They belonged to Daddy and me, and we were so excited. But one day they stopped growing, just like this baby. So I didn't get to take them home. But the next time I got a baby in my tummy it was strong. It grew and grew and I got to take that one home. I asked if she knew what I named that baby and she proudly said it was her. 

Sweet Pea rested her head in my lap and Sunshine patted my belly. "I guess this baby just wasn't ready Mom. But the twins will be his friend."

"And you can try again right? To grow a baby that they can take home?"

That's my girl. Yep. We will get back up on that horse when the time is right. 

It's so hard to understand why we suffer  heartaches like this. It's gutwrenching and downright unfair. I searched for answers for a long time after my own loss. And 6 years later I found my why. I only hope that 6 years from now Baby Mama will have her own Sweet Pea resting sweetly in her lap. 

Those sturdy sprouts help to heal these wounds that the little seeds left behind. My little sprouts sure did heal my own heart today. For that I'm so thankful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy and Me

I've been meaning to update since our group psych meeting last week, but I was in crunch mode since we decided on a last-minute trip to visit my in-laws to celebrate our nation's freedom. The irony is not lost on me. So last week we had our group psych evaluation, which I was told about three hundred times is "an industry standard" by the lady doing our psych evaluation. I'm not sure any of us were super opposed to the meeting, so I don't know why she felt the need to assure us that EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!! lol Umm it made me feel a bit like maybe everything was not normal. But that's psych evaluations for you. I was a little nervous that I was going to have verbal diarrhea and just blurt out all kinds of craziness all over these people, so I made the Hubs meet me there so he could grab a muzzle if need be. I just had so many questions and things I wanted to say to my IM since we have the weird no contact thing going. I just felt so in the dark about ho

The Journey Begins

I think my love of pregnancy stems from my mother. She always talked about her pregnancy with me as the most beautiful time in her life. She was always so positive and uplifting when describing her pregnancies that I think she partially brainwashed me into thinking pregnancy was magical and wonderful.  My own pregnancies were every bit as amazing as I imagined they would be. I was plagued with morning sickness before I even got my first positive pregnancy test. I had severe backaches and my cankles were glorious. My acne flared up, and my hair got so thick it seemed greasy. People kindly told me I was "all belly", but I think they actually meant that my entire body looked like a swollen gut. But none of it distracted me from the fascination I felt the first time I took a foot to the ribcage. The entire process of growing a human being inside my body completely blows my mind to this day.  I was the crazy pregnant lady who knew what day my baby would grow fingernails or when

Which Came First? The Surrogate or The Egg?

Aside from wondering how I'm going to "give up" the baby once he or she is born, people also wonder how I'm going to explain things to Sunshine and Sweet Pea. They're not quite sure how my kids will understand that I'm going to be pregnant for all this time and not bring the baby home.  What's funny is how accepting and understanding Sunshine already is. This isn't her first rodeo with me being pregnant. But I'm pretty sure when I brought Sweet Pea home she didn't really understand that this little squirmy thing was actually the reason I was so fat for all those months.  Also I'm not sure she was sold on the idea of Sweet Pea living with us for an indefinite amount of time. I'm actually still not sure she's sold on the idea, and it's been two years. Sweet Pea is still in a trial period as far as Sunshine is concerned. And while I wanted to give her enough information, I didn't want to overwhelm her with tales of fertility