Skip to main content

Anatomy Scan

Now that my belly has officially popped, and I'm noticeably pregnant-and-not-just-fat, people are starting to ask the question "Do you know what you're having?!" We went to Italy a few weeks ago (it was absolutely amazing but the experience is still surreal.) and a wonderfully animated Italian woman couldn't stop hugging me and rubbing the bump saying Lord knows what in Italian. The only thing I could make out was "Girl or boy?" Everyone is just dying to know what's in my belly. 
Sometimes I tell them it's a kitten, but most of the time I tell them I think it's a human baby.  
I know they're just making conversation, and truth be told when I was pregs with my own children I couldn't wait to find out. But Baby Daddy has talked Baby Mama into waiting for the "surprise" on delivery day. I offered to just throw up some confetti when their first born child came shooting from my loins, but I think they want something a little more substantial. I thought "Well it's a surprise whether you find out at 20 weeks or 40 weeks. And I like to spread my surprises out. So I was surprised at 20 weeks with the gender news on the ultrasound, and I was surprised at 40 weeks when a real living breathing child was placed in my arms that was all mine to take care of. But hey...their baby their decision. I knew what to look for on the ultrasound, so if I really wanted to know I could definitely sneak a peek.
Then yesterday, as I'm laying there for the anatomy ultrasound, I decided not to look. I always wondered what it would be like to be surprised, but I never had the guts or the will power. I wanted to start calling my kids he or she instead of it, and my relatives needed to know how much pink to buy.
The funny thing is that we bought all "gender neutral" baby gear just in case we had one of each. And I'm also a crazy bra burning feminist, so it shouldn't actually matter if people buy pink onesies for a boy. My own husband looks fabulous in pink and purple, and I'm on a very big "colors don't have genders" kick right now.
So we told the tech yesterday to quickly run over the baby's netherbits. We didn't want to know what he or she was packing down there.
Everything went so great. Baby was measuring exactly on target, and Mom and Dad were overjoyed. I think Mama actually shed a tear. I know I did.
The anatomy scan is always the most fun to me, and this one was no different. It's just so magical to see this little life forming. And they surprised us with a little glimpse in 3D. I think that's what got Baby Mama. She got to see her baby's face for the first time. It was pretty damn moving. It's a very heartbreakingly wonderful thing to be able to watch this woman become a mother. I'm so honored to be able to be there for all these special moments. Surrogacy really is a gift in that you get to witness the creation of a family. It's truly beautiful. 
Little Nugget was kicking around a bit, and it was just freaking adorable.
The midwife met with us and said everything looked great. I got my blood drawn for the AFP, which checks for neural tube defects. And after the appointment Baby Mama asked if I'd like to go to lunch. They wanted to pick my brain about baby things.
Over the largest plate of nachos to have ever been made, I gave them my two cents about the newborn must-haves. I typically tell new parents all you need is diapers, a Moby wrap and a king sized bed. But I expanded a bit to include a car seat and a pack n play, just in case their child actually does that thing where kids shut their eyes for extended periods of time at night. I know they have a name for it, but my kids still don't do it so I honestly can't remember what that's called.
I was flattered that they valued my opinion that much. I think I'm pretty much the most mediocre parent walking around out there, but I guess they think I'm doing something right.
After we chatted it only solidified my feelings that they're going to be amazing parents. Their philosophy seems to be "I'd like to do _______, but we'll see how it goes." That's not rookie stuff. That's level 3 professional parenting right there. I'm impressed. They're way more prepared than I ever was.
Our next appointment isn't for another month, so for now I'll just enjoy these little reassuring thumps the little bell pepper is throwing my way. This week she's the size of a bell pepper. I think I'll keep calling the baby a "she" just because that's what I'm used to calling babies inside me. If it's a boy he can just take heart in the fact that his mother will call him by the proper pronouns once he's on the outside.
And That's it for now! I'll leave you with this picture of our immaculate conception visiting the Pope's house. 
Ciao!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy and Me

I've been meaning to update since our group psych meeting last week, but I was in crunch mode since we decided on a last-minute trip to visit my in-laws to celebrate our nation's freedom. The irony is not lost on me. So last week we had our group psych evaluation, which I was told about three hundred times is "an industry standard" by the lady doing our psych evaluation. I'm not sure any of us were super opposed to the meeting, so I don't know why she felt the need to assure us that EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!! lol Umm it made me feel a bit like maybe everything was not normal. But that's psych evaluations for you. I was a little nervous that I was going to have verbal diarrhea and just blurt out all kinds of craziness all over these people, so I made the Hubs meet me there so he could grab a muzzle if need be. I just had so many questions and things I wanted to say to my IM since we have the weird no contact thing going. I just felt so in the dark about ho

The Journey Begins

I think my love of pregnancy stems from my mother. She always talked about her pregnancy with me as the most beautiful time in her life. She was always so positive and uplifting when describing her pregnancies that I think she partially brainwashed me into thinking pregnancy was magical and wonderful.  My own pregnancies were every bit as amazing as I imagined they would be. I was plagued with morning sickness before I even got my first positive pregnancy test. I had severe backaches and my cankles were glorious. My acne flared up, and my hair got so thick it seemed greasy. People kindly told me I was "all belly", but I think they actually meant that my entire body looked like a swollen gut. But none of it distracted me from the fascination I felt the first time I took a foot to the ribcage. The entire process of growing a human being inside my body completely blows my mind to this day.  I was the crazy pregnant lady who knew what day my baby would grow fingernails or when

Which Came First? The Surrogate or The Egg?

Aside from wondering how I'm going to "give up" the baby once he or she is born, people also wonder how I'm going to explain things to Sunshine and Sweet Pea. They're not quite sure how my kids will understand that I'm going to be pregnant for all this time and not bring the baby home.  What's funny is how accepting and understanding Sunshine already is. This isn't her first rodeo with me being pregnant. But I'm pretty sure when I brought Sweet Pea home she didn't really understand that this little squirmy thing was actually the reason I was so fat for all those months.  Also I'm not sure she was sold on the idea of Sweet Pea living with us for an indefinite amount of time. I'm actually still not sure she's sold on the idea, and it's been two years. Sweet Pea is still in a trial period as far as Sunshine is concerned. And while I wanted to give her enough information, I didn't want to overwhelm her with tales of fertility