Skip to main content

Midwifery

Well we met with the midwife and things went fabulous! I think Baby Mama and Baby Daddy felt better after seeing that the practice is down the hall from the OB and across the parking lot from the hospital. 
Also it wasn't in a grass hut. 

They did all the medical history song and dance, and the midwife asked about our story. Baby Mama is a horrible witch and started saying all sorts of ridiculously nice things about me. And I was sitting right there!! Pregnancy hormones and all. 
She's lucky I was able to choke back the tears with some wise cracks. Otherwise it could've gotten ugly. 

At the end the midwife noted that since we'd had an ultrasound at the RE we didn't necessarily need one. But she could do one just to be sure of dating etc. 

Baby Daddy said he was good and that seeing the heartbeat last week would suffice. But I knew Baby Mama wouldn't be seeing her peanut again until 20 weeks. And although I'm a little wary of ultrasounds there's a lot to be said about the mental health of a first time mom who won't be getting reassuring baby kicks. 

So I stuck my big nose in their business and sort of told the midwife that I was happy to submit to one if they wanted to. 

She said we'd just do a quick one to be sure of dates. 

I asked if I should just disrobe behind the curtain and she looked at me crazy and said nah we'd try over the tummy. 

Holy crap no weenie wand!!!!! Small victories folks. 

As she looked around I explained that my uterus was installed backward, and it proved to be a little tough to see. But then little peanut wiggled onscreen and it was glorious. We could see it starting to look less like a blob of mashed potatoes and more like a person!

Again she wiggled a flipper at Mama. 😊

As we were leaving the office Baby Mama said she actually got a bit choked up this time. She's played it cool until now but I guess the little flipper wave hit her right in the feels. 

I'm sure plenty of mamas remember the first ultrasound their hearts jumped in their throats. Rates up there with the first smile. 

I've always said surrogacy was a one time deal. I don't know any surrogates who only did it once by choice. But I figured I was just weird. It's a bucket list check and I'd be done. 

But if delivery day is anything close to the overwhelming joy I felt when Baby Mama lit up at that doctor's office...I might be in trouble. I can definitely see this being a drug. Nothing I've ever done in my life has felt this big or brought this much joy to another person. 

So that was last week and today I went in and gave the blood thirsty midwives all the AB+ I had on hand. 

Our next appointment is at the end of August, and our next milestone is in 2 weeks! 

END OF THE FIRST TRIMESTER!!! 

Such. A. Big. Deal. 

My morning sickness is letting up a bit but I'm still pretty tired. But I'll be ready to hear that sweet heart beat at the end of the month. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy and Me

I've been meaning to update since our group psych meeting last week, but I was in crunch mode since we decided on a last-minute trip to visit my in-laws to celebrate our nation's freedom. The irony is not lost on me. So last week we had our group psych evaluation, which I was told about three hundred times is "an industry standard" by the lady doing our psych evaluation. I'm not sure any of us were super opposed to the meeting, so I don't know why she felt the need to assure us that EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!! lol Umm it made me feel a bit like maybe everything was not normal. But that's psych evaluations for you. I was a little nervous that I was going to have verbal diarrhea and just blurt out all kinds of craziness all over these people, so I made the Hubs meet me there so he could grab a muzzle if need be. I just had so many questions and things I wanted to say to my IM since we have the weird no contact thing going. I just felt so in the dark about ho

The Journey Begins

I think my love of pregnancy stems from my mother. She always talked about her pregnancy with me as the most beautiful time in her life. She was always so positive and uplifting when describing her pregnancies that I think she partially brainwashed me into thinking pregnancy was magical and wonderful.  My own pregnancies were every bit as amazing as I imagined they would be. I was plagued with morning sickness before I even got my first positive pregnancy test. I had severe backaches and my cankles were glorious. My acne flared up, and my hair got so thick it seemed greasy. People kindly told me I was "all belly", but I think they actually meant that my entire body looked like a swollen gut. But none of it distracted me from the fascination I felt the first time I took a foot to the ribcage. The entire process of growing a human being inside my body completely blows my mind to this day.  I was the crazy pregnant lady who knew what day my baby would grow fingernails or when

Which Came First? The Surrogate or The Egg?

Aside from wondering how I'm going to "give up" the baby once he or she is born, people also wonder how I'm going to explain things to Sunshine and Sweet Pea. They're not quite sure how my kids will understand that I'm going to be pregnant for all this time and not bring the baby home.  What's funny is how accepting and understanding Sunshine already is. This isn't her first rodeo with me being pregnant. But I'm pretty sure when I brought Sweet Pea home she didn't really understand that this little squirmy thing was actually the reason I was so fat for all those months.  Also I'm not sure she was sold on the idea of Sweet Pea living with us for an indefinite amount of time. I'm actually still not sure she's sold on the idea, and it's been two years. Sweet Pea is still in a trial period as far as Sunshine is concerned. And while I wanted to give her enough information, I didn't want to overwhelm her with tales of fertility