Skip to main content

Hostage Situation

Damnit Uterus! Well the party started rockin' on New Year's Eve, but my friggin' uterus just thought we were doing a regular ol' cycle. I never had intense cramping. I started spotting, got a heavier flow (enjoy that word?), then spotted off into nothing. Derp Derp just regular ol' aunt flo!

My agency coordinator did a little prodding with the transfer clinic to get an ultrasound to see What The Actual Eff. So they sent orders and I went in on a Friday for my ultrasound. I had plans to visit Baby Mama the next day, so I was hoping all was well and we could have some closure on the subject.

But as the doc waved the magical weenie wand all up in there we saw the sac clear as day. There it was in all its glory just chillin' in the lounge that is my uterus. She asked before she started if I'd had any bleeding at all and I told her yeah, but either I got away with the easiest miscarriage ever (if there is such a thing) or I didn't actually pass anything significant. And as we soon found out I hadn't passed a daggum thing. My uterus is about as good at cleaning house as I am.

She measured the sac and it was looking like 6weeks4days. I was supposed to be around 10 weeks. I don't know why that gave me some closure but it did. With my own miscarriage I always had a nagging feeling that maybe just maybe maaaaaaaayyyyyybbbbeeee there was a chance that the ultrasounds were wrong. But with this one I feel very confident that they were sadly right.

As I sat up, Doc said she'd send the results, but the next steps were probably going to be a D&C or cytotec. I cringed because both sound like hell. Cytotec has some TERRIBLE horror stories, and knowing my hoarder uterus I'd probably end up with a D&C anyway. So I knew what my only other option was going to have to be. Damnit. Damnit.

The transfer clinic came back with a big fat Sorry Charlie on anything but a D&C. They said to schedule the procedure for the next week or so, and farewell. The ball is now in my court. They're officially done-zo with my uterus and its contents. Good riddance. Not sure if it was hormones, but they'd rubbed me the wrong way about the loss. They seemed so cold and...well clinical. And I think there's more to reproductive technology than numbers and ultrasounds and facts and figures. There are real people with real emotions and feelings. I wanted a less clinical approach from the clinic.

Whatevs. Moving on!

I scheduled my D&C for Tuesday with the Doc who has been monitoring me on this journey. I'm in lady love with her, and she seems to have the most vested interest in my uterus since she'll most likely be the one transferring the next baby in there.

Truthfully I'm nervous about the D&C. My first experience with one wasn't a happy one, although I'm sure no D&C is super chipper. But because my twin sacs were so big and there were two of them it was a lot more than my doc was prepared for and I almost bled out in the OR. Pair that with my intolerance for anesthesia and it was a really rough go. I remember them trying to bring me out of the anesthesia and thinking "I can't. I can't wake up." I was throwing up like crazy as they waved smelling salts under my nose and I fell in and out of consciousness. It was pretty scary.

I'm sure this round will go better though. There's only one sac for starters, and this one is only a 6 week sac rather than two 13 week sacs. I remembered being in bed for a few days after mine, but for the life of me I couldn't remember if it was because I lost too much blood or I was in pain or if I was just emotionally wrecked. I think it was mostly emotions.

This time I'm ok. Maybe I just have perspective. When I miscarried my babies I never knew if I would ever be a mother. I felt the blow of a loss with no real evidence that I'd ever feel the happiness of holding a baby. I never knew if that pain would stop.

But this miscarriage has been very different from my own. With my own I felt like I was drowning in sadness and loss. I wanted answers that would never come, and I didn't know to hope. With this one I feel more frustration. Of course I'm sad for Baby Mama and Baby Daddy. But I'm also so damn frustrated. We saw that freakin' heartbeat. Everything should have been okay. It's just not fair. I'm angry that everything wasn't okay, because those two people deserve for it to be okay. They didn't deserve this.

Each night as I'm putting her to bed, Sunshine likes to bring up obscure topics. Things weighing on her mind. Last night, with a very serious face, asked if her 5-year-old best friend would carry a baby for her if her "lady parts didn't work." I told her I'd ask, but that she doesn't have to think about that for a long time. I think she looks up to Baby Mama and wants to be like her because she rescues animals. It also touches my heart to see that she sees the importance of what we are doing. She realizes it could just as easily be any of us that needs help completing our families.

Well I hadn't had so much as a cramp since I stopped spotting over a week ago. Then today I noticed the tiniest spot. I'm giving my uterus two more days to get her shit together and do some spring cleaning. This is it uterus. We can do it my way or we can do it the hard way. I hope she does it my way.

I promise I'll give you another chance! Just let this hostage go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy and Me

I've been meaning to update since our group psych meeting last week, but I was in crunch mode since we decided on a last-minute trip to visit my in-laws to celebrate our nation's freedom. The irony is not lost on me. So last week we had our group psych evaluation, which I was told about three hundred times is "an industry standard" by the lady doing our psych evaluation. I'm not sure any of us were super opposed to the meeting, so I don't know why she felt the need to assure us that EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!! lol Umm it made me feel a bit like maybe everything was not normal. But that's psych evaluations for you. I was a little nervous that I was going to have verbal diarrhea and just blurt out all kinds of craziness all over these people, so I made the Hubs meet me there so he could grab a muzzle if need be. I just had so many questions and things I wanted to say to my IM since we have the weird no contact thing going. I just felt so in the dark about ho

The Journey Begins

I think my love of pregnancy stems from my mother. She always talked about her pregnancy with me as the most beautiful time in her life. She was always so positive and uplifting when describing her pregnancies that I think she partially brainwashed me into thinking pregnancy was magical and wonderful.  My own pregnancies were every bit as amazing as I imagined they would be. I was plagued with morning sickness before I even got my first positive pregnancy test. I had severe backaches and my cankles were glorious. My acne flared up, and my hair got so thick it seemed greasy. People kindly told me I was "all belly", but I think they actually meant that my entire body looked like a swollen gut. But none of it distracted me from the fascination I felt the first time I took a foot to the ribcage. The entire process of growing a human being inside my body completely blows my mind to this day.  I was the crazy pregnant lady who knew what day my baby would grow fingernails or when

Which Came First? The Surrogate or The Egg?

Aside from wondering how I'm going to "give up" the baby once he or she is born, people also wonder how I'm going to explain things to Sunshine and Sweet Pea. They're not quite sure how my kids will understand that I'm going to be pregnant for all this time and not bring the baby home.  What's funny is how accepting and understanding Sunshine already is. This isn't her first rodeo with me being pregnant. But I'm pretty sure when I brought Sweet Pea home she didn't really understand that this little squirmy thing was actually the reason I was so fat for all those months.  Also I'm not sure she was sold on the idea of Sweet Pea living with us for an indefinite amount of time. I'm actually still not sure she's sold on the idea, and it's been two years. Sweet Pea is still in a trial period as far as Sunshine is concerned. And while I wanted to give her enough information, I didn't want to overwhelm her with tales of fertility